The two-year MBA HCL covers all the functional areas of management while giving you a contextual understanding of the principles of health care governance and current health care reform programmes such as National Health Insurance, the policy landscape and health systems for value-based care. The stream-specific modules and electives focus on the challenges of finance and funding in health care, taking cognisance of the limited-resource context in South Africa and in Africa.
Why specialise in HCL at MBA level?
You’re a health care professional making a positive impact in your industry. USB’s MBA stream with specialist modules in Health Care Leadership is designed to allow you to continue on your career journey while gaining high-end skills and expertise tailored to your industry. The modules and electives of the stream are offered during the second year of your enrolment in the Blended Learning format of your MBA.
Why USB’s MBA?
Our MBA programme has all three major international accreditations: AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA – and maintains a strong student focus with responsible leadership at its core. Whether you’d like to explore multiple business sectors, pursue more senior positions or be your own boss, the MBA is sure to prepare you to make your impact without having to put your career on hold.
What stands out?
- 2 convenient formats: Modular and Blended Learning (see Flexible Learning Formats below)
- International Study Module: An immersive learning experience at an overseas business school tailored to this stream is included in the MBA fees
- Triple accreditation: USB’s MBA has all three major international accreditations
- Tailored to you and your industry: The programme’s Personal Leadership Development journey caters for your needs
What will you gain?
- An understanding of all the functional areas of management within your industry
- The skills to lead positive change in the health care environment
- The knowledge to take on the challenges of finance and funding in health care through modules designed for South African and African contexts
- Deeper insights into the principles of clinical governance, health care reform programmes such as National Health Insurance, the policy landscape and health systems for value-based care
Why should you apply?
- You are a clinician or a general practitioner who wants to take on managerial and leadership roles in the health care industry
- As a general practitioner, you wish to scale up your understanding of business
- You are a professional in a health care delivery institution, or other relevant organisation
- You are a senior nurse in a public or private hospital who leads a large team with high-impact responsibilities
Flexible learning formats
The MBA stream in Health Care Leadership is offered in two formats – Blended Learning and Modular.
Year 1: Choose to start with either the Modular MBA (blocks of classes spread over the year) or Blended Learning MBA (orientation block plus weekly classes online or on campus).
Year 2: During your specialisation year, attend one on-campus block at the beginning of the year, followed by Blended Learning classes one afternoon a week, and one on-campus electives block towards the end of the year.
Blended learning: Attend class from anywhere in the world!
USB’s Blended Learning format allows you to join the class either via an internet-linked device, or on campus. Online classes are delivered synchronously with on-campus classes. This virtual environment enables you to actively participate in classroom discussions – whether you are logging in from an airport in Europe, a boardroom in Africa or your office at home.
Apply for our MBA stream in Health Care Leadership today.