Smoking cigarettes can affect the body in many ways, raising the risk of several serious health conditions. Here are 10 reasons why quitting today is the best decision you can make for your health.
1. That all-pervasive smell of tobacco that permeates your clothes, hair and fingers.
2. It’s associated with the onset of eye diseases such as cataract
3. 50% of periodontal (gum) disease in smokers is caused by smoking, increasing your risk of losing your teeth
4. Increases your risk of lung and other cancers as well as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
5. Increases your risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.
6. 30%–40% more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than non-smokers.
7. Impacts both innate and adaptive immunity and plays dual roles in regulating immunity by either exacerbation of pathogenic immune responses or attenuation of defensive immunity
8. Raises the risk of unwanted blood clots and makes it more likely that platelets will stick together. Also damages the lining of the blood vessels, which can cause clots to form.
9. Is an important accelerator of the ageing process, directly through complex mechanisms mediated by excessive formation of free radicals.
10. Men and women who smoke are more likely to have fertility problems and take longer to conceive than non-smokers. Worsens erectile function through vascular mechanisms (primarily depletion of nitric oxide).