Compiling data from 1 200 Americans age 18-74 on their habits and attitudes toward masturbation, sexuality, general health, and wellbeing, a new survey found that frequent masturbators, or those who masturbate at least four times per week, visit the doctor less often due to illness, have higher body confidence, are more likely to be employed, and have triple the number of orgasms to those who masturbate less frequently (or not at all).
According to the survey, conducted by Tokyo-based company Tenga, 42% of all respondents masturbate at least once a week, with 20% doing so four or more times per week. The survey assessed key trends and attitudes across gender, generation, sexual orientation, and relationship status.
Results also indicated that 89% of respondents who have talked to a significant other about masturbation have had an overall positive experience. And while nearly 50% of people believe openly discussing masturbation would make society better, only 32% have ever had that conversation with a close friend, indicating that a level of embarrassment lingers around the topic. However, 57% of those currently in a committed relationship say they have talked about it with their significant other.
“I’m thrilled to see that so many Americans are taking their sexual wellbeing into their own hands. And even more happy to learn that over half of the survey respondents are comfortable discussing masturbation with their partners,” says Dr Chris Donaghue (Tenga brand ambassador).
“We still have a long way to go to destigmatise sexual health education,” says Dr Chris Donaghue (Tenga brand ambassador). But he’s “thrilled to see that so many Americans are taking their sexual wellbeing into their own hands. And even more happy to learn that over half of the survey respondents are comfortable discussing masturbation with their partners.”
Key findings from the survey about frequent masturbators, those who masturbate at least four times per week, include:
- Frequent masturbators spend approximately 19 minutes masturbating per session, six minutes longer on average than those who masturbate three times or less per week.
- Frequent masturbators are 13% more likely to have a gym membership, with 41% saying they work out at least four days per week.
- Those who masturbate four times a week or more are 23% more likely to agree that masturbation before exercise or sports helps their athletic performance.
- Frequent masturbators are 8% more likely to be employed than others.
- Frequent masturbators are 15% more likely to be comfortable discussing masturbation with partners whom they’re not in a relationship with, and nine percent more likely to be comfortable discussing with partners in a committed relationship.
Key findings from the survey about overall respondents include:
- 47% of all survey respondents who have ever masturbated agree it’s a “good idea” to masturbate before a first date. Frequent masturbators are 16% more likely to masturbate before a job interview, and 11% more likely before big family gatherings.
- 66% of Americans age 18-74 agree that masturbation is “Good for your health,” and 58% of those who masturbate see it as a part of their health and wellness routine.
- Masturbating with a partner is relatively common: only 39% of Americans age 18-74 say they have never masturbated with a partner.
- One-third of Americans age 18-74 currently own at least one sex toy, including 24% of men and 41% of women.