The world of skincare seems to get buzzier by the minute. From CBD to crystals, it’s hard to keep up and know what’s worth the hype. We’re here to proclaim, once and for all, that peptides are 100% worth the hype. In fact, we think they’re worth their weight in gold. Here’s why…
Collagen is naturally occurring in your skin. We love it because it’s essentially like scaffolding for your skin – it holds everything in place and prevents sagging, wrinkles, and dull skin. Skin abundant in collagen is plump, firm, and a sign of youth.
Unfortunately, collagen breaks down over time due to pollution, DNA damage from exposure to UV light, movement (like facial expressions), excessive sugar intake, and smoking. To make things worse, not only are you losing collagen over time, but your body also produces less collagen as you age.
That’s where peptides come in. Peptides are small chemical compounds composed of short-chain amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein and collagen. Simply put, peptides applied topically send a signal to our skin to produce more collagen. Here’s a deeper dive into the benefits of peptides:
- Collagen, collagen, collagen: Peptides aid in the production of collagen to keep your skin plump, firm, and wrinkle-free.
- Strengthened barrier: Strong, healthy skin starts with a strong barrier of fatty acids on the top layer of the skin. Peptides create proteins that strengthen these bonds.
- Hydration station: A stronger skin barrier means greater natural moisture. Not only does a strong barrier keep bad bacteria out, but it also keeps good, natural moisture in, right where it belongs.
- Complexion booster: More collagen in the skin means clearer and more even skin.
- Antioxidants? Yes please: We love topical antioxidants. Thankfully, peptides contain natural antioxidants that reduce disease-causing inflammation.
As you can see, peptides are super powerful, multi-functional anti-aging agents. Add them to your normal routine of calibrated cleansing, vital vitamins, essential exfoliation, and proper protection, and you’ve got an unstoppable skincare routine that will reap benefits for years.
Click HERE to learn about SA’s very own Dr Janine Ellenberger and her pursuit for safe, chemical-free skincare products.